Freedom is something that all humans and animals alike desire. Being healthy is one of the most important keys to freedom. People like to move, travel, and do their daily chores as well as pursue the hobbies that bring their hearts to life. Unfortunately, there are some people who can’t do all that at least not painlessly. Because of some disease, accident, or surgery, they are bedridden. However, the bed should not restrict them; the following are a few pieces of mobility equipment that can make life easier for bedridden individuals at home.
With the help of a wheelchair, they can go on their own or be taken anywhere. It is indispensable. There are two types of wheelchairs:
- They are very affordable.
- They are very light in weight.
- They can be folded and carried anywhere.
- They are straightforward to repair.
- They have to be pushed or pulled either by the patients or their attendants.
- It is very difficult to push/pull them as they need a lot of energy and power, especially if the patient cannot use his hands and/or arms or if no one else is around to help.
- It takes a lot of time for a patient to go from one place to another using a manual wheelchair.
- They can be used by the patients themselves since they are equipped with various installations like keys and buttons.
- The attendants can even use them.
- They aren’t tiresome.
- They are faster than manual wheelchairs.
- They are very expensive & cannot be afforded by everyone
- If they break down or get damaged, it isn’t easy to repair them.
Such patients do not suffer from their illnesses as much as they do because of the lack of cleanliness. This is why the people around bedridden individuals need to take extra care of their hygiene. For more information, please visit website.
Moreover, you can achieve this in the below-mentioned ways:
- Bathroom and Toilet Aids: Since the patients cannot go to the toilet on their own, they may require mobile toilets. Bedpans, urinals, adjustable commode chairs, and portable showers can all be helpful. Many reputed companies manufacture such products.
- Cushions and Bedsheets:These patients often have damp beds because it is impossible for them to go to the bathroom or use a bedpan or urinal at night while they’re sleeping. This leads to infections, bedsores, pneumonia, or even death. So it is necessary to change their bedsheets and mattresses.
They cannot always lie on their back. They may need to sit while having their food. Moving them, again and again, is tiring not just for the attendants but also for the patients. For this reason, surgical beds are a necessity.
It is really important to modify their cars to accommodate these patients. Attaching a ramp and making the seats adjustable so that the patient can sit comfortably can greatly reduce the discomfort caused during transportation.
Bedridden people are already weak and susceptible to more diseases like allergies caused by dust and other pollutants. So, it is very important to keep their room dustproof and free from any allergic substances like hay or harmful pollutants, especially in big cities where PQIs are very high.
More than anything, the patients need the love, care, and attention of their friends and family. They should be optimistic during such rough times, so, the people around them must try to stay encouraging, supportive, positive, helpful, and happy.