The water dispenser is one of the most important appliances that every homeowner should have. These dispensers are available in different types. You can go for the built-in dispenser, sink-mounted, freestanding, or you can perhaps build your own DIY working water dispenser.
With a water dispenser, you will eliminate the need to purchase water bottles or pitchers each time you need to drink fresh water. Thus, you will not only save money, but you get to help save the environment as well. And although there are many water dispensers that you can purchase nowadays, it’s definitely possible to make one your own. If you are someone who is fond of DIY projects, then making your own DIY working water dispenser should be easy. But before we get into the steps of creating your own water dispenser, let us first find out more about the water dispensers and the different dispenser types in the market.
Different Dispenser Types
If you will choose to buy instead of making one, remember that there are several different types of dispensers that you can choose from. You can opt for the sink-mounted faucet type water dispenser, which is integrated into the kitchen sink. For this type, a water tank is mounted right below the counter. With a flip of the lever, the units will dispense either hot or cold water.
According to Lea Harrison from www.essentialoildiffuserusa.com, another popular choice is the freestanding water dispenser, which is common in offices and homes. Aside from producing cold water, these dispensers are also capable of dispensing hot water and room temperature water.
For others who prefer to carry a water dispenser with them, the portable water dispenser is a great idea. These water dispensers look just like a coffee maker and can pour up to 16 ounces of hot water. Other types are also able to produce cold or iced water.
Features of Water Dispensers
Depending on the type of water dispenser that you will buy, this device comes with a wide range of features. Others have a simple design equipped with a basic container with a wide mouth opening. It dispenses water with a single push of a button. The built-in types are capable of producing hot water and can be directly hooked up to the water line for continued access.
The freestanding water dispensers come with storage tanks made from stainless steel. It’s equipped with an energy-efficient heating element and has a removable drip tray for easy cleaning. These dispensers are easy to install and can be used for a wide range of applications.
How To Make Your Own Water Dispenser
If you like the idea of making your own water dispenser, then you’d be glad to know that it’s possible to make this device your own using some of the most basic materials. This DIY water dispenser is portable so you can use it in your office and carry it with you at the gym or in your home. It’s not only a plain water dispenser for you can also use it in dispensing your favorite beverages, from soda, iced teas, lemonades, and juices. You can place it on your desk, at your kitchen counter, or carry it with you on the go!
“You’ll be happy to know that this DIY water dispenser is made from basic supplies and materials that you can find lying in your home somewhere”, says Dr. Doug from ifootcare.net. Specifically, you will need the following materials for this DIY project:
- Empty can of Pringles
- Empty jar of Nutella
- Empty tube of toothpaste
- Nail clip scissors
- Sheet of paper
- Glue gun
- Glue stick
- Drinking straw
- First of all, position the cap of toothpaste on one side of the empty can of Pringles. Using the pencil, trace the circumference of the cap and then cut out the traced circle with the use of the nail clip scissor.
- Next, trace a curved line below the hole and then cut it too. Trace two straight lines that would extend from the two end sections of the curve going towards the bottom section of the Pringles container then cut it out. Ensure that the section is spacious enough for a glass.
- Cover the entire Pringles container with a white vinyl sheet in order to mask out the printing. You can also coat it with a spray paint if you want. Make sure you also cut those shapes hiding below the paper.
- Next, get the tube of toothpaste and cut it in the middle while making sure to remove all the contents and keeping the portion with a cap to be used later. Divide the toothpaste tube into strips with the use of a scissor. Make sure you avoid cutting the hard plastic portion that’s on top. Extend the individual strips outwards then apply hot glue on every strip. Attach the tube to the hole that you have created in the Pringles can and make sure that the opening of the tube will stick out from the hole.
- Get the jar of the Nutella and draw a line in its center. Extend the marking towards the side of the lid. Create two dots at the top of the lid in such a way that they will go along with the marking at the side. Cut the two dots and insert a straw through the small homes that you just created.
- In order to allow for the water to pass into the dispenser, position the lid upside down on top of the Pringles can and make the other end of the straw to stick out of the tube of toothpaste. Once you have assembled the straw correctly, invert the lid and then attach the straw in place. Cut all the unwanted portions of the straw and place the cap of the toothpaste tube back on.
Finally, your water dispenser is made. You can now fill the jar with water or any beverage of your choice and screw it to the Pringles container that will now serve as the dispenser. Turn the container upside down and now your water dispenser is all set to dispense water or any beverages!